Thursday, March 09, 2006

James Simrel Woodroof

73 years ago today in Obion, Tennessee a baby boy was born. I would venture to guess NOBODY could have foreseen the impact that baby would have on God's Kingdom. Little did they know how MANY lives he would influence!
He's not the greatest orator you will ever hear, and there are deeper scholars than him around. But myself and many others will take him over those folks any time. Why? Because he always brings Jesus with him. He can't get enough of Jesus, and he inspires me to want more of Jesus too! He lived and preached Jesus to the folks of New Zealand for 5 years, then he lived and preached Jesus to the students at Harding for 8 years. I won't mention the names of some of the well-known ministers that he impacted, because you already know them. And now look at the lives they are impacting! Jesus told us what he could do with a mustard seed, so I guess we shouldn't doubt what he could do with a toe headed baby in Obion, TN. Or what he can do with each of us.

That baby was named James Simrel Woodroof......better known as Jim. I found out Simrel was his mom's maiden name. Like the boy named Sue in Johnny Cash's song, I guess Simrel just made him tough! Jim and Louine have been married for more than 50 years, and raised 5 wonderful children. I don't know how many grand-children he has, but I know several of his sweet grand-daughters here in Searcy.

Not everybody loves Jim the way I and many others do. A few years ago he had the audacity to point out some things our fellowship might could improve on, and that was taboo. How can you improve on perfection? :) He was a prophet then, and he is a prophet now. And he is still talking about Jesus!
He's genuine, and he is transparent. He's also humble. Thanks Jim, for living Jesus before me. I love you dearly! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

"This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." Keep walking Jim, cause we're walking with you!

9 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Amen. I loved to sit and listen to Jim Woodroof preach when I was a college student at Harding. He always had Jesus with him. The insights he had were so new to me and he always lived what he preached. So, I join you, David, in wishing Jim a happy birthday.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger dutro said...

When I think of Jim, I think of a servant heart, too. (Maybe that's the taking Jesus with him thang you mentioned). When we first moved to Searcy, we moved in not far from their house, and we had some fascia on the front porch that really needed some attention. Jim wanted to come fix it for us, and actually pressed me for a time when we could work on it together. I was able to fix it without bothering him with it, but just the fact that he offered and meant it was impressive. Happy birthday, Jim.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't personally know Jim Woodroof, but tell him happy birthday from me, too, here in Katrina Zone.

And - please - tell us how your son, Luke, is progressing. And what caused him to faint in the first place? Have they found out for sure and are they searching for the cause (I hope)?

I'm not trying to be nosey here, but just to inquire so that we may know more completely how and what to pray for him and you all as you care for him.

Hope all the news is good.

Dee

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jim! - one of the greatest influences on my life.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim was a tremendous influence on my thinking, for sure: he is the first person I ever heard say from a pulpit that we have brothers and sisters in churches that do not have "Church of Christ" above the door! He is a man of great courage and insight. Thank you, Jim!
Beth VanRheenen

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dad for sharing that with us. I could always tell you have a tremendous amount of respect and love for Mr. Woodroof. I wish I could know him better.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger David Michael said...

Amen! When I was at Harding I attended College Church because I didn't want to miss hearing Jim. He would say things I had never heard before. I think he knew Jesus like know one I had heard before.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having grown up in the CoC in M'sia, I've always thought I knew the Bible since every sermon and scripture verse was familiar, until I met Jim Woodroof and heard his profound sermons at Burlington Church of Christ in Massachusetts in the mid 80's. I realised then that I did not know Jesus and began to search to get to know this Christ. It's been a long time now since I began that journey and have found Christ with whom I walk daily now in Switzerland with my own family. I thank God for Jim Woodroof and pray blessings upon him and his family.
Helen Savari Renold

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0608
michael kors outlet
arcteryx jacket
uggs outlet
coach handbags
mbt shoes
oakley sunglasses
kappa clothing
michael kors outlet
hermes belt
michael kors outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home