Monday, May 09, 2005

The Day After Mother's Day

I know this is a day late. I didn't have access to a computer yesterday, hence the late post. So forgive me please.

Mike has asked the question about who's face you would want to see if you were flat on your back and needed to see a loving face. One of the first faces I would look for would be my mom's. Those of you who know her know that she is an angel with skin. She loves me unconditionally, and was always my biggest fan. According to her, I could still be the next guy in the White House (ok, she is a little delusional) or the QB for the Packers ( oops, REAL delusional). You get the picture, and lots of you out there can relate. All the songs like "Wind Beneath my Wings" and "You Raise Me Up" always make me think of her. So, yes, I had the most loving, wonderful, precious mother you can imagine. THANKS MOM! I love you much!

I was reminded yesterday that not all of us have been blessed the same ways. One of my best friends showed me a Bible that his dad had given him, and he opened up to the page where it says "date" and "given by".......it said Dec. 25th, 1970. For 35 years he has been carrying that Bible as a gift, and I presume as a reminder. You see, he leaned over and told me that 3 days before that Christmas, his mother had left the family for the second time and never came back. I realize he is not the only one out there that does not have fond memories of "Mother's Day". It motivates me to be more thankful for my wonderful mom, but also to be sensitive to the hurts and pains of those around me. I know this brother has a hole in his heart that may never be filled, and I hurt because he hurts.

Father's Day is coming up, and there probably are even more cases of dads than moms leaving huge holes in the lives of their children. Let's have our eyes and ears open, ready to serve those who need a shoulder or a smile that day. And maybe even some loving words.

"Feed my sheep"

4 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Thought you might want to know: taking a cue from your column, we are rewriting the words to "You're So Vain" and are building a Wednesday night Connections (our seeker service) around them. Great idea. We'll credit you and send you a CD of the event.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Steve said...

David, I love your heart for people who hurt. Keep reminding us about those sheep!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

You are so right! It is so easy to take our families for granted, and maybe this is a good time to reach out to those who would love to be a part of the craziness that goes on in our homes.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I bet my Mom could beat up your Mom! Oh, I was supposed to save that line for Fathers Day! My mom was great as well. Got me started cheering for the Hogs at an early age and we still enjoy watching a game or two together each year. Always there for me and kept me honest. Good post. Good to have you back from Pepperdine.
kr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home