Monday, April 18, 2005

People vs. Policy

As we talked about the adulterous woman in John 8 this weekend, we came to the conclusion that this was basically a love story. The love a father has for his daughter. I wonder how many of those men would have been willing to pick up a rock if it had been their daughter that was being drug out and exposed? We know she did have one father there......and he was going to do everything within his power to save her. It was just like you and I would have done for our precious daughter, and I'm guessing any of those men would have done also, if she had been their daughter. The legalists did have the law on their side that day. But they had forgotten one very important thing...........there is a HIGHER law! It's the HIGHEST law there is, and it trumps all others. It's the law of LOVE, and it was there with flesh on it that day. You see, Jesus always picks people over policy. He did it numerous times in his ministry. Remember the guy with the shriveled hand in Mark 3? It's just consistent with who HE is! Love over any other law, people over policy. It drove the legalist mad, to the point in the Mark 3 account that they were looking for ways to kill him. Why? Because he blew up their security net. They had everything figured out, and everything lined up for a "go straight to heaven" card. They were all about themselves. Grace with flesh on it rocked their world, and they were not going to give that security up! They knew about Hezekiah in II Chronicles 30, but out of sight out of mind. Those people in II Chronicles were NOT ceremonial clean according to the Law, but Hezekiah petitioned God on their behalf, and God allowed them to participate in the Passover feast. People over Policy......Love over Law. God ALWAYS chooses us! Jesus ALWAYS chooses us! Any law withstanding.

Should I make application? Are there people picking up rocks in 2005? You know there are....it's just not about adulterous women or men. I'll let you pick it up from there and you can make application in your corner of the world.

I'm just glad he picks me when somebody else wants to throw the book at me. THE book!
In response to that unconditional love, my heart is captured. Just like I am sure her's was.

How about you? :)

10 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for giving me a new way to look at that story. I know I'll be passing this along!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Steve said...

One of the most powerful interactions with Jesus is the leper. He threw the book out and touched him. No latex gloves, no surgical mask, no hazmat suit. He touched him. I wonder how long it had been since he had been touched by a non-leper?

A leper came to him, begging on his knees, "If you want to, you can cleanse me." Deeply moved, Jesus put out his hand, touched him, and said, "I want to. Be clean." Then and there the leprosy was gone, his skin smooth and healthy.
(Mar 1:40-42)

People over policy- well put David

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have you read the re-contextualized version of the "Woman at the Well" story?

http://ragarambler.blogspot.com/2005/02/just-how-shocking-is-gospel.html

I think this issue is a big stone-throwing one for us today, and I hope people over policy can apply here, too!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger David U said...

Greg, I just went and read the post you referred us to......I am speechless. That should be required reading for everybody!

Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention.

You are a blessing!
DU

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, David. Thanks for the follow up from Friday. This one gives me a lot to think about, too.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Keith said...

There is no greater love than a father(parent)has for his(their)children. The rocks we clutch today would often fall from our fists if we put (our) childs face on those we tend to condemn. Good post. KR

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I know of many elders in the church who stood for the absolutist position in divorce and remarriage... until it occured in their families. The pain, heartbreak, and turmoil they saw their own daughters and sons live through for years made them long for grace and seek the Lord's favor instead of the approval of doctrinal watchdogs.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I love the way you expressed this--love over law--so good! JB

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Wow! I picked a great first day to stop by your blog. Thanks for the thoughts David. I'm ashamed thinking of all the times the rocks rolled around in my hand as my head weighed the situation out trying to decide whether or not to let them fly.

People are ALWAYS more important than policy! Great Post!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

swarovski outlet
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
true religion outlet
uggs outlet
wellensteyn outlet
ugg outlet
canada goose jackets
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
true religion jeans outlet
michael kors outlet
lebron shoes
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
beats headphones
mizuno running shoes
burberry outlet
ed hardy clothing
kate spade uk
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home