Saturday, March 19, 2005

One Sitting

For some unknown reason I picked up my NIV study Bible a few days ago and decided to just read the book of Acts in one sitting. WOW! The things that jumped out at me were NOT the things I expected. I will share with you at a later date what they were in case you want to try it.......that way you won't be prejudiced by my impressions.
A few days later, my good buddy Keith Riley called and said he was going to begin teaching the 11th graders on Wed. night and their study was to be based on I Corinthians. Guess what I did? Yeah, one sitting again. Same thing......blew me away. So, I have made a commitment to read all the books of the New Testament, each in one sitting, in the year 2005. I hope I follow thru with it. I could use my time in much less fruitful ways. I HAVE read the entire Bible, once. I say that with remorse, not pride. The only reason I did it then was because I was accountable to a special group of guys who were reading it at the same time. It took us over 2 years, taking off in the summers. Why so long? Because we would read a week's worth and then have to discuss it. And we had some doozies. But, what a blessing! I wish we would do it again.....but I am not holding my breath.
Anyway, I look forward to this new way of reading....at least a new way for me. I hope some of you will try it and let me know how it impacted you.....or not.

Off to Memphis and Alabama today! We will be at Highland in Memphis tomorrow with Matt, and we will cherish the time just hanging out with him and in worshiping with him. Then on to Florence for some of momma's good cooking! Is there ANYBODY that cooks better than your mom? Ok, maybe your wife ties her........but I don't think anybody out cooks your mom. I know both of my boys are firm believers in that, for good reasons.

So until Wednesday, hasta la vista baby!

6 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Nope! Moma's cooking beats everybody else's. I just came from eating lunch with her. I may try the book in a setting. I did that with Galatians, Ephesians and Phillippians last year while reading the Bible through. (meaning I did both) I got a lot more out of the entire books at a time.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Just did the Pastorals - I & II Timothy and Titus - the same way over the past few days, several times. Makes much more sense that way!

I don't imagine that the folks who originally received the Gospels and Epistles just picked out and cross-stitched their favorite parts (since there weren't any verses - or any punctuation!) instead of reading through the whole item.

Why do we?

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger dutro said...

Keith, I think Paul DID do that verse numbering thang. Look at 1 Corinthians 13. It has 13 verses, and is perfect to teach to a junior high class at church, one verse a week, for a 13 week quarter. Coincidence? I don't think so.......

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

But wouldn't that make I Corinthians 13 unlucky? You know, like, all the stars and arrows and stuff on dollar bills that make the USA unlucky?

And were Paul's numbers Greek, Hebrew, Latin or Coptic?

don, You so bad.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

You are reading JUST the Bible--you better be careful there--all kinds of things might jump out at ya--especially doing whole books at one sitting. Unfortunately, our kids look forward to eating out while they are here--I am pretty sure I know why. I can make a pretty good sandwich? JB

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

swarovski outlet
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
true religion outlet
uggs outlet
wellensteyn outlet
ugg outlet
canada goose jackets
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
true religion jeans outlet
michael kors outlet
lebron shoes
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
beats headphones
mizuno running shoes
burberry outlet
ed hardy clothing
kate spade uk
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home