Friday, March 04, 2005

3/4/5 and another Hero

I was tempted to let it pass, but the Math in my DNA couldn't let it go by without mentioning it. I guess I have Mr. Mathiesen to thank for bringing out that part of me I didn't know existed. Mr. Mathiesen was my Algebra and Geometry teacher in Liberia, West Africa from 1970 to 1972. He also was our basketball coach, volleyball coach, softball coach, PE teacher, Bowling league director, camp-out co-ordinator, Ping-Pong tournament director, Editor of the school newspaper, and Spiritual leader. Other than that, he didn't do anything. How he had ANY time for his wife and two little kids, I will never know. Marty was Mr. Chips, John Wooden, and Billy Graham all wrapped up in one! He impacted MANY a life in those two years, and we probably have not thanked him enough. THANKS JOLLY GREEN GIANT!

Anyway, cool date for today huh? Don't guess we will see it again until April 5th of next year. Hey, it's the little things that make life interesting........right?

Oh, in case you were wondering.........after having "retired" from teaching in California for 25 years or more, Marty is part of a mission effort in Bucharest, Romania where he is in his second year of teaching the children of missionaries there. His energy amazes me. And yeah, he still is coaching from time to time.
I wish all of you could know one of my other heroes, Marty Mathiesen.

2 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

o duh--I missed that on Friday--now I have to wait another year for another one. Thanks for inspiring us with a story of one of your heroes. JB

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I must lay off the nutra-sweet. When I read this over the weekend I had no idea what you were talking about, duh!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home