Sunday, February 27, 2005

A Bull Named Fumanchu

I sincerely like a LOT of different kinds of music. I have already confessed to all of you several times that I do not listen to "Contemporary Christian" music like I should.....but I DO like it. Promise! I guess there are only two types of music that I refuse to listen to, and they are Hard Acid Rock and Rap. I don't have any use for either one. I won't judge you if you like either or both, but I also don't understand what there is to like. I don't think I am alone.

Last night coming back from Memphis, Jan and I were listening to what I would call a soft rock station. It's called "the River".....104.5 for any of you folks traveling thru the River-City any time soon. Anyway, Tim McGraw's song "Live Like You Were Dying" came on. I had heard the song several times before, but it REALLY hit me between the eyes last night. I don't know if it was because we were coming from having been with Matt and he just had his 25th b-day, therefore I MUST be getting older, or if it is the awareness that my dad is not in good health, or Jan's dad and mom having health problems, or Keith Brenton talking about his dad passing.......but WHATEVER it was, it got my attention last night. How would you live if you KNEW you were dying? I think of Barbara Moore and Barby Smith, and how they lived once they knew they were dying. Dirk Smith shared with me how some of his mom's perspectives changed after she was sick. Many of you may have lost loved ones who knew the time was short. Did you see a change?

I love the line from the song that says "One day I hope you GET A CHANCE to live like you were dying". McGraw went on to sing that the effect it had on him was that he "loved deeper, spoke sweeter, and gave forgiveness I'd been denying". Guess what......we each DO have that chance, don't we?!? We get our "chance" every day to live like we are dying......cause the truth is we ARE dying.

In closing, it hit me that I have read about one person who lived every day like he knew he was dying. He was a from a far away place called Nazareth. Yeah, EVERYDAY he lived like he was dying. And like Tim, he loved deeper, spoke sweeter, and gave forgiveness where some were denying it. If we take the admonition of the "Hebrews" writer and "fix our eyes" on this one from Nazareth, I am convinced we will live like we are dying also. And that will be a good thing.

It might even motivate me to ride a bull named "Fumanchu". Some of you would pay good money to see that, huh? Don't hold your breath! :)

I'm off to Tulsa the first part of this week, so no more bloggin for me. Maybe I'll hear some more good ole country songs. Ya think?

5 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I love that song also. Probably my favorite of Tim McGraw. Good analogy comparing to Jesus living like he was dying. We know from scripture that at age 12 he was "about his fathers business." I wonder when in his earthly life he came to realize his PURPOSE here was to DIE! Amazing thought. Thanks for the blog. Stay away from the bull, Herbie.
Keith

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

It would truly be amazing if we would live like we were dying, 'cause you're right, we are! Priorities would crystalize for us then.

Have a great time in Tulsa!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I usually don't listen to country music. I was listening to it the other day when the doorbell rang, so I pulled the gun out of my mouth.... Seriously, some of the words are great and the messages can be life affirming, but that can be said of almost any kind of music. I even listened to rap the other day. Well, I had to. The Jeep was only two blocks away....

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home