Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"I believe in YOU"

I was blessed a few weeks ago to be able to sit at the feet of Monte Cox as he spoke to the flock at Downtown here in Searcy.
Like many others, Monte ALWAYS blesses you when you listen to him witness about God. This particular message focused on the sisters Mary and Martha. He pointed out their very different personalities, and called us to see the "Mary and Martha" in all of us. The deeper part of the message was Martha's response in John 11: 27 when Jesus, after having just been rebuked by Martha for not getting there quicker, has just asked Martha if she believes in his teaching that the disciples are never really going to die. This is extremely personal and not theology to her, because her brother is lying dead in a tomb not very far away. Her response is "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God who has come into the world." In other words, "I believe in YOU". Monte went on to point out how often we should be like Martha and just say "I believe in Him" when we don't know the answers so many times to life's questions. Usually we come up with all kinds of theological explanations to hide our fear of seeming spiritually ignorant because we don't know the answer. Isn't not knowing the reason we walk by faith?

The reason this message is on my heart this morning is because I just got an update from Bonnie Roper Ward, the wife of Dave Ward. Dave was diagnosed with liver cancer a few months back. Dave is around 50 years old, and was in perfect health. He has just been blessed with his first grand-child. As you know, statistically the chance for recovery from liver cancer are not in his favor. What do you say to Dave and Bonnie and those who ask where God is in all of this? Like Martha I say "I don't know nor do I understand, but I believe in Him." When people ask "WHY" concerning the innocent American who was murdered last week in Saudi Arabia......I believe in Him. Why you see friends and families destroyed by divorce......I believe in Him. Why so MANY suffer from hunger and poor living conditions, especially in third world countries........I believe in Him. Does that remove any responsibility we have to help? Of course not....but it can help us with the "WHY" part of it. I wish that I could turn back the clock and be able to have this mind-set when Phil and Judy lost little Jay......and come to think of it, even when their house burned down. Looking back on it, they responded by living lives that thunderously proclaimed......"I believe in HIM!!!"
What a foot washing that was.

The answer was there all along......I just needed a Monte Cox to shake these cob webs loose. Thanks Monte........and with Martha and with all of you, I shout with all my being "I believe in HIM".

3 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
I appreciated this post: "I believe!" You are so right that we often make up answers rather than saying what we truly believe...that Jesus lives, that he is the resurrection and the life.

Thanks for letting me know about your blog and glad you're joining the blogging community!

Greg Taylor

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading "I Believe in You," all sorts of "Why" questions came up for me. And each "Why" provided an opportunity to simply praise Him who is always faithful...he is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Thank you for prompting all the "Whys." It reminded me that I do not need answers as much as I need Him.

MD

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home