Monday, June 21, 2004

Religious vs Spiritual

First, let me start by saying I had a WONDERFUL "Father's Day" yesterday. I had both of my boys with me, so life was as good as it gets. I also got to talk to my wonderful dad, who modeled what a great dad is to me. I also got to spend some time with Jan's dad, who also was a wonderful father to his 3 special girls. So it was a special day because of so many special people in my life. I am blessed beyond words.

Just a quick thought today.......it's a Monday after all. Do you know people who are religious, but not very spiritual? By that I mean you see them at church or other religious activities, but in their life you don't see the fruits of the Spirit. Why is that? We all know plenty of examples of what I am talking about. For that matter, we all ARE that person from time to time! So again I ask, why is that? I have some thoughts, but will share them later. Right now I think I will just lay it out there for you to digest for several days or weeks.

The scary thing is THOSE are the individuals that Jesus despised. It wasn't the sinners he couldn't stand being around...in fact those were the very ones he WANTED to be around. The "religious" crowd were the folks he tried to stay clear of. Kind of scary huh? It should be.

1 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my own opinion on your question is much like your earlier post on Shawshank and the institutionalized thang. We all look for what a "Christian" should BE, or DO, or LOOK LIKE, and try to be or do or look like whatever that is. It is our nature to try to conform to what we want to become by working on externals. This is not evil, just misdirected, as the whole thing is about relationship first, then the rest of that stuff follows, and not the other way around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home