Thursday, June 17, 2004

Morgan Freeman

If you get TBS or TNT, you have probably seen "Shawshank Redemption" more times than Jennifer Lopez and Elizabeth Taylor have been married. It's kinda like watching Andy Griffith in that you KNOW what is going to happen, but you have to watch it anyway. Morgan Freeman, playing the part of "Red", has one of my favorite lines in the movie.

Red: "These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That's INSTITUTIONALIZED. They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts, anyways."

The part of that quote that comes at me like neon lights is when he says that you can get to where you DEPEND on the walls of an institution, and because of that dependence, have your life taken away from you. Any life you feel you have because of an institution is not REAL LIFE. You are settling for a Zircon stone when HE wants you to have the real Diamond.

John 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the LIFE. No man comes to the father except through me."

I hope you never feel like Red. I did once, but I don't ever plan on feeling institutionalized again. Why would I want to go back to Cubic Zirconia when I have the Diamond?

5 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. Another way to say it is "change is hard". It's much easier and soothing, in a way, to deal with what is instead of working to attain what could be.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

....and, of course, i said it much more succinctly than you did.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger David U said...

Succint? Surely you digress!

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading your blogspot. I got so many messages out of "Shawshank", but that quote has ALWAYS made me think of the congregations I've been a part of. I'm trying to implement fresh approaches to worship at my current congregation, and for the most part, the people have been very receptive. HOWEVER, the few negative comments are so full of venom and suspicion that it makes my head spin! These people are so institutionalized it's not funny a bit! How I wish to make them be salt and light instead of bitter cucumber and flourescent light(not warm and inviting light,in my opinion!)

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

red valentino
oakley sunglasses
nike trainers
seattle seahawks jerseys
jordan shoes
buffalo bills jerseys
michael kors handbags outlet
michael kors outlet
coach handbags
oakley sunglasses
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home