Tuesday, October 30, 2007

You CAN Fall From Grace

Isn't it amazing how verses can catch your attention even though you have been reading them for YEARS? My last post was about one such verse, and this one is about another. This verse popped out at me today in my daily reading. It's from Galatians: "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace". YOU........YOU have FALLEN AWAY FROM GRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, Paul establishes that you can fall away from grace. But the questions I want to know are, WHO is "you" and HOW did "you" get to this point? My guess is you want to know too.

First, I think it's very important to notice who he's NOT talking about. He's not talking about people who are struggling with sin. In fact, he's not even talking to unbelievers! Well, the sad truth is that he is talking to believers.......believers who BELIEVE they can save themselves. That brings us to the HOW part. They got to this point by trusting in one of Satan's oldest lies and tricks........that you can save yourself by your own righteousness. That's why they've fallen from grace, they don't think they NEED grace! When you feel the security of self-righteousness, you don't feel the need for ANYTHING else! God didn't take His grace from them...........they eliminated the need for it themselves. That's why Paul uses the phrase "have been alienated from Christ". YOU......who want to trust in being right, righteous by your own doing, and justified by law.....YOU have been alienated from Christ! Therefore, you have fallen away from grace.

I have been saying for years that "once saved always saved" is true.......if it were left to God. But it's not true because we are involved in this salvation thing.......we have to choose. God is NEVER going to pull His grace from us, but we have the ability or choice to NOT accept his grace. And what does that look like? The fact that we have struggles is not a sign we are turning our back on grace. Nor is being wrong about some doctrine, because that is a given. Surely not by wishing and striving for unity with other believers. Not by sinning daily. None of those things get in the way of you accepting His grace......quite the opposite in fact. Then WHAT or WHO does it look like? Simply put, it's the LEGALIST. And the sad thing is they didn't die out after Paul wrote this! They are alive and kicking. They are where you are, and they are where I am. At times I have seen one in my mirror when I was the only one in the room. Most of us have been a legalist at some point in our life.........some of us still are. Legalism kills.........grace brings life! So, let's do all we can to defeat legalism in our corner of the world. Don't ignore it, and don't sweep it under the rug. Shed light on it, because GRACE AND TRUTH can withstand the exposure of the light......legalism can't. Because it's not from God.

It's from us. Always has been, always will be.

I heard F.W. Mattox say one time something like this: "God spent 1,500 years chronicling the fact that you can't be saved by following the Law. It's what we call the Old Testament". :) I still miss brother Mattox!

If you are a sinner, God's grace is there for you in abundance. Bathe in it. Take all you need. Then share it.

If you are a legalist..........Paul says there is no grace for you. You decided you didn't need it.

"My hope is built on nothing less that Jesus's blood and righteousness".

"For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith.....and this not from yourselves, it is the GIFT of God....not by works, so that no one can boast."

7 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Royce Ogle said...

David,

John 6:35-40 "Then Jesus declared, ‘I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.
For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." The words are emphatic "lose none.." and "everyone" will share in the resurrection.

Then Paul said in Romans 8:29,30 "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.”

I can cite many, many other passages that give weight to eternal security.Verses like the ones quoted, the passages that say the Holy Spirit in the believer is God's "guarantee" that even our bodies will be adopted one day and that we will make the trip from mortality to immortaltity, And, should I think God made a blunder when He reserved and inheritance for me in heaven if I might not make it?

At a minimum further study is warranted when dozens of passages teach the opposite of the "apparent" teaching in Galatians.

Love you brother,
Grace to you,
Royce Ogle

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good "stream of consciousness" blog, brother! You might want to factor into your conclusion (which was a good one) Jesus' admonition not to judge for those who judge will find that same judgment used against them.

Therefore the legalist who judges others harshly because they did not keep the law perfectly are lost because that same standard will be used against them on The Day.

(Shudder)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

In legalism you not only fall away from grace you fall away from the joy that comes from grace. And like you I have been there....praise God for his patient love.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger annie said...

Good post; Good comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that, BIL.

See you tomorrow, I hope.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the beginning of these comments there is an important question. Do you believe that the word of God is all true? Not part but all? Over the years I have seen this same argument about onced saved always saved come and go split churchs and disrupt peoples faith.

If you believe in the full Word of God not taking anything out of context, using all the scripture is it possible for you to choose to loose your faith? Which brings to mind another question? Did God take away free will after we are saved? God does not take anything away from us. But we seem to take away from God. If this be so can we fall away? Is it possible? If it is and we have preached onced saved always saved have we preached many to their dome. If we have mis-interupted Gods word and put our self righteous selfs as the only interputor of Gods word changed Gods word what will become of us? Revelation 22:19. Should we be the judges of Gods Word and tell everyone what's right and what's wrong or should we let the people read and see all the scripture that gives both sides of this story.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was recently in a conversation with a friend and a teacher. It was about if you can fall from grace, say if you are saved and you go out and do something really sinful, do you still go to heaven? Please respond to me a at cone4christ@gmail.com, thank you.

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.
I choose to live every day like it is the last because let's be real, WHO THE HELL KNOWS what is going to happen or when it's your time to go on. The past is history, the future is a mystery and now is a gift, thats why it's called the present. It's not healthy to sit around and trip out about when you will die. Stop wasting your time you have now.
[url=http://2012earth.net/planet_nibiru_2012.html
]your new chakra system
[/url] - some truth about 2012

 

Post a Comment

<< Home