Friday, October 19, 2007

It Don't Get Any Better Than This

Nope........it don't! :) Matt and I are headed down to Tuscaloosa tomorrow morning bright and early to watch Alabama and Tennessee play their annual 3rd Saturday in October game. I haven't been to a Bama/Vols game since 1977.......30 years ago. The Tennessee game is the biggest game of the year for me. Bigger than the Auburn game? Yeah, for me it is. I grew up in an era when Auburn was not all that good, and the Tennessee game was always a dog-fight. The Vols were for sure our biggest rival! On the third Saturday in October in 1973, I went to take my ACT test. The person giving us the test told us we could leave when we finished the last test. It was the Science section, and I didn't need any encouragement to hurry up because science is like Chinese to me anyway. The other students must have thought I was the second coming of Einstein, because I finished that section in RECORD time and ran to my car. I was NOT going to miss any of the Bama game on TV.
Wilbur Jackson went for about 80 yards for a TD that day, and the Tide won another one. We also won the game I went to in 77. Tennessee didn't make a first down until the 3rd quarter, and even the Bama fans clapped for them when they finally did. Bear's boys didn't lose too many during that stretch. That 77 team is still my favorite team of all time, and they got ROBBED by Notre Dame for the National Championship........the Irish went from 5th to 1st in the last poll. If Bama had been awarded that Championship, it would have been the 1st of 3 in a row. Anyway, I can't think of a better 52 year birthday present!!

By the way, the 13 I scored on that Science section of the ACT probably made me who I am today!!!!!!!! :)

12 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

Seems like you are good luck for Alabama at those games. Maybe tomorrow too. Can't wait! Wodees, Buddy

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it happened before yesterday...

Wilbur Jackson #81 if I remember correctly. I was still under the influence of a Bama family at that time and had not rebelled against my raising.

I don't like UT either.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked it up - Wilbur was #80.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger mmlace said...

Ha! You'll have to forgive me...the '13' made me laugh out loud! Enjoy the game tomorrow! Much love!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Bama has been on life support all season dude. No one knows what to expect from the Vols except them playing than annoying "Rocky Top." Enjoy the time with #1. Happy Birthday Einstein.
Go Hogs

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger mmlace said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Happy 49!:)

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

DU,
Didn't know if I'd ever told you this, but here goes: My high school coach (who had been a member of the 64 Razorbacks - ironically enough - was the biggest Bear Bryant fan I've ever met.
He changed our uniforms to look exactly like Bama's (numbers on the helmet, white stripe down the middle of helmet, two stripes on the pants, etc.). He had a huge dog named Bear.

We had no workouts on the day Bear died (the coach, not the dog).

Oh yeah... maybe it rubbed off ... I wore #42 as a seventh grader because of Major Oglivie!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger David U said...

Rick, that is a GREAT story!! What high-school was that? Who was the coach? I want to meet that guy and trade Bear stories.

Needless to say, Matt and I had a GREAT day on Saturday. It was the best birthday present I could have been given. Sitting amongst Vol fans made it even sweeter! :) The last two games we had been to, the Tide had lost. As you might expect, it's a COMPLETELY different atmosphere when Alabama wins....duh.

BRING ON THOSE TIGERS FROM BATON ROUGE!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes.
I had a GREAT one!

DU

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

David,
That would be dear old Norphlet High School, outside El Dorado.

Joe Black was the coach. He just returned this year to coach our old rival, the Smackover Buckaroos (where he grew up and played HS).

He came to Norphlet in 1980, when I was starting seventh grade. Senior high team made the playoffs that year ... then didn't make it again until 2004, I think.

Of course, that was before half the teams qualified for postseason!
In 1984, when I was a sophomore, we lost 1 conference game by 2 points (got a punt blocked for a TD) and didn't make the playoffs.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Happy Birthday~ I am so glad you were there..what a great game!! I LOVE beating Tennessee!!!

ROLL TIDE!!!

p.s. Dusty Rush has called me out on the LSU game...could you get my back??

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

new york jets jerseys
mont blanc pens
washington redskins jerseys
cheap basketball shoes
true religion jeans
replica watches
yeezy shoes
christian louboutin shoes
ecco shoes
ralph lauren outlet
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home