Friday, June 24, 2005

Holy Spirit and Ramblings

Thanks for ALL the comments from the last post concering the Holy Spirit. There are no right or wrong answers........at least from my perspective. My goal was to share that very penetrating question with all of you, and to motivate you to ponder it with me. Evidently that happened. I will share with you my initial reaction when I was confronted with that question, and it was something to the effect of "I doubt anybody would notice, because I don't let HIM control my life enough." See, for most of my life I have thought I was in control, and I WANTED to be master of this ship. So, it was a major wake up call for me.......a brick wall I needed to bloody my nose with. I know it didn't grab everybody the same way, and I think that is great. But I wanted to share with you, because so many of you had already done so.

----------------

I am a very nostalgic person. As I was channel surfing last night, I came across some kind of "comedy" hour on BET. Is there some funny stuff on there? I am sure there is. But last night for the 30 seconds I watched, I couldn't help but think about how what we accept as "acceptable" has fallen to such a LOW level. We tolerate pretty much anything to be shown on TV. And please don't try and read a racial motivation or bias into this observation..........I feel the EXACT same way about Saturday Night Live! The things people say on TV these days would have outraged us in the 60's and 70's, and been XXX rated. I know many of you have "blockers" on your TV set, and I appreciate your wisdom. I probably need to follow your lead. And don't hear me saying ALL of TV is bad.......I know that is not the truth. I love "Animal Planet" and "the Discovery Channel" and "TV Land".
I love watching sporting events. But it just upsets me when what we.....or maybe I...accept as "acceptable" things that would have embarrassed me 30 years ago. Some of you probably are saying "I don't accept it", and I don't mean to speak for those of you who are doing something about it. I just know I haven't been proactive in trying to make a difference. Where are Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason, and Flip Wilson when you need them?

----------------

How about my man Robert Horry?!?!?! Yeah, I keep up with all my Bama boys. I am biased, but can you think of an NBA role player that has had more impact on his team in the last 20 years or so? I bet 6 rings that you can't! GO SPURS! :)

7 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying here, David, about television (and many other things) these days. As you know, I've been stuck at home now for nearly three months (and will be so for a couple more weeks, at least) and even during the day time, when you would suppose there would be at worst innocuous shows, I have finally quit having the little TV on in here on our desk by the computer because there was so little, if anything at all, of value or productive (or even a little optimistic) to watch. It's really appalling to me. And, that's not even considering night time TV and all of the cable and movie channels. Some are downright disgusting!

I don't know if you've ever happened to wander by Frank Bellizzi's blog, Frankly Speaking but he has a good one and his most recent, while on a little different subject, is along the same vein as your observations here on what's happened with television and drawn some good comments. Check it out if you have a couple of minutes.

I'd also like to get your input in a comment, if you have time, on my current post dealing with newspapers and blogging. I'm trying to do a sort of survey that I hope to follow up on by seeing what people are thinking.

I read your blog all the time and appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

All right, David... you and I have been long distance friends for several months now, but you are testing the strength of that friendship. What's with the Spurs comment??? I am sitting here in (designer) sackcloth and ashes but my heart still says DEEEEETROIT BASKETBALL!

PS -- my interior designer wife re-did Ben Wallace's house and is good friends with them. Top that!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger David U said...

Patrick, I am a big Ben Wallace fan! Guess why.........he is originally from ALABAMA!! :) So, it goes without saying that I am an Antonio McDyess fan also. They both are the real deal. It was a great series, and if the Pistons had won I would not have been crushed. I just wanted Big Shot Rob to get his 6th ring. He is my favorite NBA player, and I NEVER watch the NBA until the play-offs. I hope Larry Brown continues to coach.

Tell Big Ben hello from a fan in Arkansas!

DU

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Peggy N Texas said...

The irony of it all is that Flip Wilson and Red Skeleton and even Jackie Gleason were a stretch of comfort for my parents back then. So.....I wonder if we continue to tolerate and accept the unacceptable, where will we end up?

I believe Satan is using every tatic and TV is one of the best he's got.

I know I watch way too much of it, but I do watch mainly old movies. I love them.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger JP said...

be nice guys.......I do not like either teams. Especially Detroit. They took my beloved Larry Brown from the Sixers. Anyhow, speaking of TV, what do you think of this new 24/7 network from the CoC? "Me not like" http://www.gbntv.org/

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Keith said...

You are right that our general tolerance of TV's "Take it to the Limit" philosophy has softened. I look at it as an opportunity, if we implement it, to turn off a program in front of our children, if it is offensive. Where we mess up is sitting complacent on the couch when the offensive begins and simply crossing our fingers and hoping another act of indecency won't happen. We become like the frog in the boiling water that becomes comfortable with its surroundings until its too late! The last movie my family and I walked out of was Liar, Liar with Jim Carrey. I love Jim Carrey but couldn't sit there with my family and listen to his language and inuendos. Later watched the TV version and it had a good message. Thanks for reminding us to remain sharp. Satan is looking for his next meal.
I feel like I know a celebrity. Mrs.Meads doing the design work on Ben Wallaces home! Maybe she can recommend a hair stylist! Ben is the man. Mark this down. Robert Horry will be coaching in 4-5 years at the NBA level. May take Pops place.
KR

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger David U said...

Wrong, he is still going to be winning championships by hitting three's from his wheel chair! :)

thanks for the comments, KR!
Now, how about an update on your blog?

CNN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home