Monday, June 06, 2005

Morality

First, thanks for all the encouraging comments after my last post! And thanks especially for the prayers. It's clear to me why we need community and fellowship, not to follow some "pattern" or to get our card punched.........but because it will BLESS us, DUH! Why can't we get it? The "it" being that EVERYTHING He wants us to do is FOR us. He's kinda unselfish like that, isn't He? Imagine that.

I don't want to beat this to death, but when you hear or read impacting things it is only natural to want to share it with those you love. Here is just a taste of "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller. This is from a chapter entitled "Morality".

The hijacking of the concept of morality began, of course, when we reduced Scripture to formula and a love story to theology, and finally morality to rules. It is a very different thing to break a rule than it is to cheat on a lover. A person's mind can do all sorts of things his heart would never let him do. If we think of God's grace as a technicality, a theological precept, we can disobey without the slightest feeling of guilt, but if we think of God's grace as a relational invitation, an outreach of love, we are pretty much jerks for belittling the gesture.


I told Keith Brenton (after he helped me figure out the italics thingy) this morning that I think this is the only book in my whole life that I am thinking about reading again immediately after I finish it the first time. It's that powerful, it's that impacting. If you want to read it and can't find it or can't afford it, let me know and I will get it and send it to you. And you folks that have read it....comment on your reaction to it. It won't hurt my feelings if you are not as high on it as I am. I will just delete your comments from now on. :) NOT! I wouldn't do that.

God bless each of you today on your walk. I'm glad to be walking behind you.

5 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger dutro said...

That comment on morality captures the spirit of what it is all about better than almost anything I've seen.

When you think about your own kids, and what you want for them, then try to relate that to what God wants for us, it's not about a formula. I want my kids to relate to me out of love, not to come to me to get their ticket punched, but they're not really there, you know?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I have purchased the book and can't wait to read it. I have promised myself that I will finish The Divine Conspiracy first, which I am loving, but is not "easy" reading to say the least!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger David U said...

No Donna it's not, but you will be blessed for reading that classic by Willard. There were LOTS of pages in that book that I had to read more that once to try and catch a glimmer of what he was saying. But what a GREAT book! A MUST READ for every Christian!

Thannks,
DU

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger 2coopers said...

i have read the book and I feel that is is a must read...that chapter hit me hard...we can break rules all day long and not feel guilty but when call sins what they really are... immorality stealing, gossip, etc. then it becomes more real

Miller has a new book coming very soon if not already out...later , cooper

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

reebok outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
nike blazer pas cher
supra shoes sale
cheap jordans
christian louboutin outlet
golden state warriors jerseys
ugg boots
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors uk
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home