Sunday, August 05, 2007

Who Would Have Thunk It?

I was never a Michael Irvin fan. In fact, I've never really been a Dallas Cowboy fan. I have been a huge fan of certain players and coaches for the Cowboys(Coach Landry, Staubach, Cornell Green, Lilly, Leroy Jordan, Bob Hayes) but never the team itself. I guess it goes back to the 70's when they were winning so many games and getting so much hype.....America's Team stuff......and were playing in the NFC, which at that time was pretty much a patsy conference. While they were playing the mighty New Orleans Saints and Detroit Lions (remember my temptation to default to sarcasm) my Raiders were playing the Steelers, Jets, Chiefs, and Dolphins.
Kinda like college teams today that get to play in the Pac-10 as opposed to the SEC.
I just perceived them as being WAY WAY overrated. In more recent years, I for sure didn't care for Jimmy Johnson and his Cowboys.....with Irvin being the main cowpoke.
I appreciated Emmit's work ethic, and Troy Aikman's class. Other than those two players, I could have cared less as to them winning or not.

Then came the inductions into the Pro Football Hall of Fame yesterday. Michael Irvin went last, and even before he got up to give his induction speech I found myself feeling sorry for him because he was having to follow some GREAT speeches by some of his fellow inductees.......Bruce Matthews and Charlie Sanders especially. I didn't think there was any way he could match the heart wrenching speeches they gave, especially Sanders. Then it was Michael's turn. He started with a prayer, a very moving prayer. His speech came from a man who had been broken, and this was not a private breaking.......his was one that millions had witnessed. Cocaine busts, hookers, etc. You name it, Michael Irvin's name was associated with it......that is if it were bad. But he told of coming out of that darkness into the light, the light of the Gospel. He mentioned T.D. Jakes, and if any of you have watched Pastor Jakes or read any of his books, you know why Michael was impacted. The old Michael Irvin is dead, and a new one is now alive because of the power of Jesus Christ and His saving grace. Irvin encouraged the crowd there and the millions watching on TV to do these things when they find themselves flat on their face: A) Look up to God B) Get Up C) Never Give up . He had tears streaming down his face as he spoke. He didn't have any notes.........this was coming straight from his broken heart. He was very passionate and transparent. And he influenced a lot of people for the Lord last night!

I remember Jim Woodroof talking about David in the Bible once. He said David had two distinguishing characteristics about him. David was a great sinner and David also was a great worshipper. He went on to comment that you don't HAVE to have BOTH characteristics to become a great worshipper, but you also can't discount how often the two go hand in hand. It's hard to appreciate God's wonderful loving grace if you don't feel like you've ever needed it. David had no doubt he did........Michael has no doubts either.

Michael Irvin has a new fan today. I think I may have interpreted passion for showboating when he was a Cowboy. I think he will forgive me, in that Jesus told us that those who have been forgiven much also love much.

You go Michael!

5 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

DAvid:

I love your blog. You're saying things that I wish I had the courage to say when I was a young ministry student in the preaching school at Harding (1980-82). And yet ironically, the Lord was opening my eyes at that school in many ways by what I read in the Harding Library -- specifically, Carl Ketcherside and Leroy Garrett.

I loved the Rees Bryant article. I know one of his daughters at Harding.

Great story about brother Michael. I didn't see it. Praise the Name of Jesus for how He captured Michael's heart...and ours, too.

Jim

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember Jesus telling the Pharisees in Luke 7 that those who are forgiven much, love much and those who are forgiven little, love little? It took me a long time to understand that, but I think I do now. Thank you for your blog, brother.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Royce Ogle said...

David,

T D Jakes is not my favorite theologian. In fact he is far from my favorite preacher. With that disclaimer out of the way I must say that I admire his passion, his zeal for Christ, and am very happy to see that he is reaching people in the Dallas area with the good news about Jesus who might not have been reached except by a big old black preacher who is bigger than life.

I will say with Paul, "Christ is preached and therein I will rejoice".

Thanks for the post as always.

Give Gary Stephenson a holy kiss for me...........ah..um...just tell him I said hi and I love him in the Lord and miss he and his family.

Grace to you,
Royce Ogle

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...


Your website is extremely helpful.
http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/
http://www.emirates.prokr.net/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home