Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Father's Day and Hitting the Road

I hope all you dad's out there had as good a "Father's Day" as I did! Luke and Juliana came over and spent the night with us.....as a married couple, which was weird.....and we had a great visit. Matt and Liz are coming next weekend, Lord willing. Jan and I got to have lunch with her mom and dad on Sunday, along with Jimmy and Andee. It was kinda retro.........like when Jimmy and I were dating the sisters many years ago. No comments on the "many" aspect of that sentence. The only downer was I didn't get to see my dad. Speaking of dad, please keep him in your prayers as he was admitted to the hospital yesterday. Nothing major, but anytime you are in the hospital, it's stressful. GET WELL and GET HOME, Dad! We LOVE you! I know "Father's Day" is not a good day for everybody, and I'm sorry.
But for me, it's for sure one of the best days of the year! I get to reflect on what a great dad I had, and I get to be reminded how lucky I am to be the father of two wonderful sons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am posting this from the road..........Tulsa to be exact. Or should I say Seattle?
Tulsa has had more rain in the past month than any other month in recorded history, so I am told. It has rained off and on since I have been here, and everything is SO green. And muggy. YUCK! Summer is here for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am presently reading John Ortberg's "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Gotta Get Out of the Boat". It's my first Ortberg book to read, but it won't be the last. If you haven't read it, pick it up! Matt gave me another McManus book for Father's Day, and I am excited to get into it next.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night, I went to Steve Smith's house and watched 3 Nooma video's by Rob Bell.
Is that guy something else or what? The 3 we watched were titled "Luggage", "Dust", and "You". Some of the material was directly from "Velvet Elvis", but it was good to hear him tell it instead of reading it.
If you haven't ever seen any of Rob's videos, I urge you to order some.
I would love to hear him in person. Maybe we can get him at Harding. :)

Have a great rest of the week!

9 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read everything Ortberg has written -- he is definitely one of my favorites. His best (IMHO) is "The Life You've Always Wanted."

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I have read all of Ortberg too! He is one of my favortites. My previous minister (the one whom I loved) said he was Dallas Willard- light!

I am up for a road trip to hear Rob Bell....anytime!!

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might be tempted to visit Arkansas if I could hear Rob Bell!

I have only read a couple of Ortberg's books but I really liked them.

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dust" is my favorite Nooma. I just posted a few days ago some good information about Rob Bell's new speaking tour called The Gods Aren't Angry. If you'd like to see him live tickets are on sale and I put a link in the post. Although I'm not sure how close he's coming to Arkansas.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger David U said...

Billy, thanks for the info and link about Rob's tour! If I wasn't headed to Africa about that time, I would try and go hear him in Kansas City.

Come back more often!

DU

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Joice Family said...

Sorry I missed you in Tulsa on Wednesday. Wish I had known you were in town. Hope your trip was a success.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger David U said...

Chad, sorry I missed you too! I wasn't sure I was going to be at Park Plaza, or I would have given you a head's up. It was great to see a bunch of Harding folks there.

Have a great summer, and come see us!

DU

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home