Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Kevin James, You Tube, Sectarianism, etc

Jan and I have a date every night.......yep, EVERY night! We have a date at 9:00 each evening to watch "King of Queens". As we have with so many other shows, we fell in love with it by watching the re-runs. Those of you who watch it and are used to the way Doug talks on the show, can't you just hear him saying "Syn-di-ca-she-on"! :) Yes, syndication has been the reason I got hooked on Mash, Cheers, Seinfeld, and now King of Queens. It's beyond me how this show was prime time for almost 10 years and never won any awards. The acting is off the charts, and the writers have to be up there with some of the best comedy writers in the business. We love Jerry Stiller, and can easily see where Ben got his talent. I have not seen the new Kevin James-Adam Sandler movie, but I hope it will be one of the few summer movies we choose to go to. Have any of you seen it? Are there any other K of Q fans out there? For those of you who don't like it, as Doug would say......"You shutie". :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

How many of you saw the CNN-You Tube Presidential debate the other night? There were some stupid videos, but for the most part I liked the format. I thought there were some great questions asked. I thought it was interesting that not one candidate used the word "terrorist" the whole night. I look forward to the You-Tube debate amongst the Republicans also. Kudos to CNN for having the vision to pursue this.

--------------------------------------------------------

Insider language I don't use any more(meaning I did in the past but have repented), because I perceive it to be sectarian in nature:

"member of the church" meaning "member of the church of Christ".

"brotherhood" meaning "church of Christ".

"the Lord's church" when referring to churches that have "church of Christ" on their sign.

"the church" as in the sentence "He(or she)left the church" meaning he or she is not going to a "church of Christ" anymore.

Did we ever stop to think how arrogant and exclusive those phrases sounded? Jesus addressed that mind-set in Mark 9, yet we have ignored his admonition. I guess it didn't fall into the category of a command, example, or necessary inference. How convenient.

---------------------------------------------------------

We are having a very mild summer in this part of the country, and it's wonderful!
How is it where you are living? This is NOT the kind of weather we are used to in July.

----------------------------------------------------------

Are you as sick of professional sports as I am? The whole bunch of em just make me appreciate high school sports and athletes even more than I did before. I'll take high school and college teams ANY day over any NFL, NBA, or MLB team. Are there some good folks in professional sports? Absolutely. I'm wondering if they aren't in the minority though. I'm afraid there just aren't enough people like Payton Manning, Tony Dungy, David Robinson, or Cal Ripken anymore.........and that's the kind of folks it would take to win me back. I don't see it happening soon.

17 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Kevin James doing stand-up comedy? Good stuff. We saw him on Comedy Central recently, and we were laughing so hard we were crying!

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like King of Queens, too. It's a fun show. The movie didn't get good reviews from our local newspaper reviewer - I'm just sayin'

I would NEVER have promoted a Bama player but Donna got the Shawn Alexander book as a gift for my birthday... he's a good guy.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger David U said...

T, I read the Alexander book. He's a really good football player, but a better Christian. I appreciate him wanting to witness to such a large audience about Christ.

Glad you enjoy K of Q! :)

DU

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Kevin James, and agree his standup is not bad. I find Leah Remini a bit annoying, but overall enjoyed the show for several years when it was one of the lead-in's to ...Raymond.

I've really grown to despise most of the "insider language". I've heard a lot of people over the years use "Christian" the same way, referring only to "us".

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger mmlace said...

I hate that sectarian language as well. Unfortunately, I still catch myself using it sometimes. At least I'm noticing it more and am trying to be more aware of it, in an effort to put a stop to my own usage of it all.

AMEN on the weather!!! Just got back from counseling a week of a junior high church camp that I try to work every summer. Last year at camp, it was literally 105 degrees outside. One afternoon, it was too hot to even do our activities. We went outta the cabins for activities, only to end up entertaining the kiddos under our pavilion, in front of our fans! I'd like to think this year was God's answer to many of our prayers that this year would be at least a little bit milder!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

I've also tried to halt my use of those words and phrases. Here's where it can be tough, though: I've caught myself being almost nervous about NOT saying those things when I'm talking to older men (especially the ones I have great respect for) in the church. I almost feel like I'm going to offend them by NOT using those words.
Of course, it's from those men that I learned those words/phrases.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a fan of "insider" language. Not a fan of comedy that depends on screaming.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I think lately I'm more down on ESPN and other sports media for giving so MUCH primetime attention to the Vick's and Pacman's of professional sports. Its the 80/20 rule again I suppose. I want equal time for the P.Mannings and D.Fishers of the pro sports arena. I got a note from a friend that was relieved to find out a surgeon he was about to visit was "a member of the church." I know he meant well but it sure drew a line in the sand with me. By the way; I am now making a "lude gesture" as I think about Bama football. :)

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw Kevin James at our hotel in LA, going to the premiere of "Ratatouille" back in June. He has a mischievous look on his face, & I think it would be so much fun/funny to visit with him! We also saw "Spence". We were glad we spotted them because we love the show too. I agree that Leah Remini(Carrie) has an annoying voice.

I try hard now to say I'm going to "worship assembly" instead of "goin' to church". Mom & Dad never thought we were the only ones going to Heaven, but they still use "member of the church", meaning "cofC" most of the time. Mom has started saying this more: "part of our fellowship". That sounds better to me. What do y'all think?

And, I wince every time the words "sound doctrine" is used. Always was/is said in a harsh tone---to my ears, at least.

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all of us who use what you call "insider language" intend the meaning you assign to those phrases. When I say "the church", I have in mind the church that Jesus established. If I say "member of the church", I mean a person who has been baptized for remission of sins and added to the church by God. The godly men I heard preach through my growing up years (Burton Coffman, Tillit S Teddlie, Frank L Cox, George Bailey, Gordon Teel, my grandfathers, my dad) used those "insider terms"...but they were also clear that they were using them in a biblical sense. In over 60 years of working with churches...both overseas and a number of stateside churches...I've heard very few people who use those terms in an isolationist sense. Please don't automatically assign a motive to people who use those terms. And, in response to another comment: Aren't we commanded in various scriptures to hold fast to truth, to sound doctrine?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger David U said...

Anonymous, kudos to those that you know of that do not or did not use those phrases in a sectarian way! Also, if you don't use those phrases in that way, congrats! I don't think I have the power to "assign" any meanings or motives.......I just gave examples of how the phrases are used. If you haven't heard those phrases used in those ways very much, then count yourself blessed. I've heard them used that way my entire life, and I would venture to guess that many more folks out there have too.

And that is sad.

DU

P.S. Signing your name would give your comments much more credibility.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also raised & surrounded by wonderful Christian men & women who used all the phrases that "#2 anonymous" references in his/her statement. It doesn't change my mind that often the terminology was/is misused. And, I still love those people!

Regarding the words "sound doctrine". I know they're biblical, but I feel strongly that we who fellowship in the cofC used those words arrogantly & rigidly----meaning we thought we were the ONLY ones who practiced Sound Doctrine. Annie

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger David U said...

Here is a response that was sent to me via email and this person requested that I post this comment for him:


David, for the record, I have also heard those terms misused all my life in the way you characterize them. I'll give you another example that really bugs me: I have also heard all my life that we (CoC) are non-denominational. The movement did start out that way, but in many places it has turned into anything but non-denominational. I know of churches who won't participate in anything supported by other denominations, even when those things have everything to do with common goals, such as providing medical care to underserved populations. What a shame.



don

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger CL said...

We love the King of Queens at my house too. What a great one! BTW, growing up in the cofC I heard those terms the way you described them, after moving to "the other side of the keyboard" I have heard the exact same terms in the exact same way. Interesting huh? Shalom!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Royce Ogle said...

David,

You just should not poke fun at those "with like precious faith"! lol
Royce

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2015-10-7 xiaozhengm
Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online Official
celine bag
Abercrombie Short T-Shirts
michael kors outlet online
Designer Louis Vuitton Handbags Online
uggs on sale
Louis Vuitton Bags Original
michael kors handbags
Jordan Retro 13 Pink And Grey
Air Jordan Shoes For Women And Men
hermes bags
Jordan Retro 8 Playoffs
michael kors bags
Abercrombie and Co Stoves and Awnings
Red Bottom Shoes Christian Louboutin
Authentic Coach Factory Outlet Online
ugg boots on sale
Louis Vuitton Backpack Purse
ralph lauren
fitflops
Louis Vuitton Outlet Factory Online
hollister uk sale
louis vuitton outlet stores
Authentic Louis Vuitton Monogram Handbag
Michael Kors Outlet Online USA Stores
louis vuitton handbags
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
Air Jordan 4 Green Glow
true religion outlet
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale Cheap
Authentic Gucci Factory Outlet
cheap jerseys
Louis Vuitton Outlet High Quality
canada goose jackets
Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM Monogram
louis vuitton outlet stores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home