Thursday, September 16, 2004

Sad Sad Day

I promise I will come back to my question about "Grace"! I hate that I am leaving all 5 or 6 of you hanging. :) I have something more urgent on my heart to blog about today, so forgive me for delaying that discussion for another day.

I am sad today......and have been for several days. I guess that I have not fully come to the realization yet that people are going to let you down. I know I let people down, probably daily. But when it is people that you uphold with the UTMOST respect and have full confidence and trust in, then it tends to knock you for a loop. I am still in that loop as I write.

A congregation where I used to attend has decided to pull support from some missionaries in Africa because those missionaries will not quit teaching that it is ok for the African people to use a drum in their assemblies. These are two missionary families.......and each family has a spouse that grew up in this sponsoring congregation. You can imagine how they feel.

I attend a congregation that practices acappella music. I always have. I don't see me ever NOT attending a congregation that uses acappella music. It is my heritage. It is my preference when it comes to singing in the assembly. But, it is NOT the GOSPEL! I would NEVER equate Ephesians 5:19 with Mark 16:16......and especially a misinterpretation of Ephesians 5:19. Jesus talked about "Weightier Matters" in Matthew 23. I didn't find drums in that list of things that are the "more important matters of the Law". He also said earlier in Matthew: "they worship me in vain, their teachings are but rules taught by men". Our fellowship had an early saying when questioned about doctrinal matters..."we speak where the Bible speaks, and we are silent where the Bible is silent". Somewhere along the way we have gotten away from that. When you look for scripture regarding this subject as it pertains to the assembly, it's just not there. Period. So where do we get our motivation for such a heavy emphasis to the level that it is a litmus test? One word..History. History IS on the side of acappella music. Anybody that would argue against that is probably going to lose that argument. But there are two BIG errors in using history as the major deciding factor in this decision. First, look who it puts you in bed with. Proponents of slavery in the 1800's could also point to history, and even a scriptural admonition to a slave owner (Philemon) to be a good slave owner. Does this justify slavery? History is on the side of those who want to continue to treat woman as chattel or something to be owned. Need I go on? If "history" automatically makes something right, then many many things that have gone on for CENTURIES that we disdain and abhor are all of a sudden acceptable.....if not advocated. Secondly, and even more importantly, history now takes precedence OVER scripture! This from a people who hold themselves up as a "Back to the Bible" people. Either scripture is our guide, or it isn't. It erodes our credibility to the world and unbelievers to be inconsistent.

In this particular incident, I couldn't help but think of Paul's words in Phillipians 1 where he talks about people who he knows are preaching Christ with the WRONG motivation. Remember what his response is? "But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." We know these missionaries are preaching Christ with the RIGHT motive! They are reaching children of God who are lost and bringing them to eternal salvation thru Christ. They are bringing the "Good News" to those who would go to hell for eternity without it. They are spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. And yet over a drum, some would quit supporting them in this effort. Does it make you sad too? Do you see why I have been in turmoil ever since I got the news? One wonderful side note, these missionaries will still be able to stay. They will just have to find a new source for the amount that this congregation had been providing. Isn't that a blessing!

I love all the men who made the decision to stop support for these missionaries. I have talked to several of them about this decision. Every one of them is going to be in heaven with me. They are all good, Godly men. I don't envy their TREMENDOUS responsibility of leadership. It is not an easy responsibility. I have the utmost respect for ALL of them. But I am still very disappointed, probably because I do respect them so much. And now I am back full circle to where I started.........people are human and they ARE going to let you down. Regardless of their professional position. Regardless of their education. Regardless of their church affiliation. Regardless of their gender. Regardless of their status. They are ALL human, and they are going to let you down.

But there is a lesson to take from all of this. It's a VERY old lesson. One with lots of HISTORY to back it up. And that is this......don't take your eyes off of the Cross. Don't let ANYTHING rise to a level of being more important than the Cross.
The CROSS has the power to SAVE............NOTHING else does!! Priorities matter. When your fruit show you have elevated a tradition to the level of the Gospel, I think you have lost focus of the Cross.

Please pray for these missionaries. Please pray for the men who made this decision.
Please pray for me.....that I will not let my disappointment in men affect the walk that I am on. I pray that I can pour out to others the grace and forgiveness that he has given in GREAT measure to me!

10 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Very well and humbly stated. Shephards do have tough choices to make but I have to wonder what they feel they are protecting or preserving by pulling financial support where it couldn't possibly be needed more. In my line of work we measure risk/reward daily. In this case the reward of someone hearing the gospel will be affected because the risk (of what, I still wander)is too great! What risk? That is the question that the shephards will have to answer. What if the shoe was on the other foot and Africa had the support for our new startup church in Kensett and they said they couldn't continue to support if we kept using the powerpoint in our worship? We do just fine without it, why can't you? They would be guilty of BINDING their methods on our culture and making it a cultural requirement which is absurd. Worship takes on many forms in every corner of the earth. We shouldn't BIND what we deem as comfortable, acceptable worship methods for us on those of other nationalities, cultures, etc. Lets not Americanize or southernize the world; lets evangelize the world.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger dutro said...

My kids (middle school) heard about this, and were upset. They made the point that if support is pulled and these evangelists have to leave, what is going to take their place--witchcraft? Out of the mouths of babes..........

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree with "Keith". Our son, when he heard this, said,"We are supposed to take the Good News--not southern American culture to the world". WHAT is the risk here with the leaders of this congregation? Have they said? I must admit that I can't believe they have any argument that holds a particle of weight--I guess it fits in with "straining a gnat". David, I think you are humble and respectful, but I so disagree with you about these leaders being "godly". That is a slap to God. My opinion is that NOT ONE OF US ON THIS EARTH is godly; we are saved and made righteous through Christ, but never godly. I strongly feel we misuse that word!! Thanks for letting me vent! Annie

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I agree with you and am in the same place concerning accepella worship. I do not understand the stand that "we" have taken in the Cof C though. To say that it is not a salvation issue is maybe trite, but it is what I believe. It hurts my heart that this congregation would pull support over a "tradition" because of their "tradition", how hypocritical is that! Thanks for your words and the forgiving nature of your heart. I pray that we may reach a place where love for others is the center of our decisions. As you say looking to the Cross. Yes I feel your sadness and I will pray for you.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a sibling of one of the missionaries this passage is referring to. I just wanted to take a second and say thank you for all of your support for this special team. Even in the face of such adversity, and the obvious hand of Satan, they are not harboring anger or resentment. They have picked themselves up from the trenches and are marching on with the task of being about God's business. So I would encourage each of us, though the anger may rage, to follow their lead. This isn't something that's healthy to dwell on. We, as a church family, just have to move forward. Dave, I appreciate your words of encouraging support. Being around Searcy, it's sometimes hard to tell how people really feel about this issue. God needs warriors like you in His kingdom to call us all back to focus. God bless!

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from Searcy,I do wish more of us would let those elders know that we do not agree with them. I think they have a lot of power--but not any mercy. I admire David for having the courage to go and talk to one of them. It's so sad that it takes courage to do something like that. It should be an easy give-and-take sort of thing, but most times it is not. I feel that they have such a different Saviour than the one I know and love.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

longchamp handbags
nobis jacket
hermes belt for sale
ferragamo outlet
coach outlet store
lululemon pants
michael kors factory store
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
abercrombie and fitch
nike mercurial
tiffany outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
michael kors handbags
true religion jeans
mont blanc pens
christian louboutin shoes
mulberry outlet
ralph lauren uk
michael kors factory online
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home