Monday, September 13, 2004

Football with Family

I haven't forgotten about my "Grace" question. I just wanted to give time for the masses to respond. :) Looks like the masses may be somewhere around the fingers on one hand. I will finish those thoughts this week.

I grew up with a dad who was crippled, but he loves football. I have no doubt he would have been involved with playing if he hadn't gotten hurt as a boy. Anyway, this time of year is a special time for him, me, and my two boys. That's because it is football season!! YEA! Jan is not much of a football fan, but she puts up with all 3 of us during this time of the year. When the boys were playing, she was always there supporting them and the team. As a family, we spent many wonderful hours travelling to and from football games.

Dad used to feel like going to at least one Alabama football game a year, but he hasn't felt like that for several years now. The closest thing to being at a game with him is to get to watch one with him on T.V. I was blessed to get to do that this week as Bama played Ole Miss. It is an experience, let me tell you! :) He comments after EVERY play, and then is upset if I don't have the volume turned up high enough where he can hear the announcers! :) His memory is not what it once was. During the game Sat. night, they were showing highlights of what all had already happened in the game and he said: "Are those highlights from last year's game?" But, he is still able to laugh at himself.......so we have a good time. Matt surprised us by showing up at Mom and Dad's house in Florence this weekend, so that meant I got to watch the game with my Dad and him too! That made it even more special. Matt was around 5 or 6 when we took him to Birmingham for his first Bama game. Because of his playing and coaching, it has been 10 years or so since we attended a game in Alabama. We do get to catch them playing in Arkansas from time to time, but that just isn't the same. Anyway, I am on a high because I got to watch an Alabama football game with my dad and my oldest son. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if Luke could have been there too.

Excuse my ramblings today, but little things like watching a football game with Dad are cherished moments for me. Dad is not in the best of health, and I never know which game with him will be the last one. I hope heaven has a TV room and access to Alabama football for him! I feel sorry for everybody else up there if that is not the case. Knowing Dad, he will be trying to give Bear Bryant some coaching tips.
Thanks Dad for the memories of Alabama football and more importantly all the experiences that came with it. ROLL TIDE!

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger dutro said...

Why settle for a t.v. in heaven? Why not ask for a set of shoulder pads and a helmet? I'm sure that won't be out of the question.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

How cool would that be? Maybe they would let us "girls" play too! One of my greatest fantasies was (more realistic now) to play football for Alabama! Roll Tide!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

michael kors outlet sale
cleveland cavaliers
mulberry handbags
rolex watches for sale
nike air huarache
ralph lauren outlet
tiffany and co
pandora outlet
prada outlet
swarovski crystal
ralph lauren outlet
ferragamo shoes
chanel handbags outlet
the north face outlet
michael kors handbags outlet
valentino outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
hollister shirts
true religion jeans sale
supra shoes
toms outlet
jordan shoes 2015
celine outlet
north face outlet
louis vuitton outlet online
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home