Thursday, October 07, 2004

Luke and the Election

Those two have nothing in common.......it's just I am going to blog about both today.
My youngest child......my baby boy......turns 20 years old today! Dan Davidson brought Luke into this world on a Sunday afternoon in 1984. After 12 years it is going to seem different to NOT have a teenager in the house anymore. The darndest thing is trying to figure out how Luke has gotten to the age of 20 without me getting any older. Go figure.

Are you as tired as I am of the name calling and mud slinging being done during this election year? Has it always been this bad? I tend to agree with the pundits who conclude that our nation is as divided as it has ever been coming into an election.
I have my conclusions as to WHY that is the case, but I am not going there with this blog.....maybe another day. I just want to focus on the attitude the followers of the two camps seem to be displaying. I think you can disagree with someone without attacking them personally. There are some VERY hateful words being used to describe BOTH candidates. I know that there are plenty of scriptures that I could go to when addressing this problem.....one being the second greatest command. But I remember a quote from "The Green Mile" that has stuck with me, and I hope it resonates with you also as we think about how we are treating each other. I know those of you who have seen this movie ( Don Eudaly is the only person I know who has NOT seen it.....the last flick he caught was "Lady and the Tramp") will remember this powerful scene. Tom Hanks played the part of Paul Edgecomb, the Corrections Officer who was in charge of the "green mile"....death row. The wonderful Michael Clarke Duncan played the part of John Coffey......the inmate wrongly charged for the murder of several children. Think about John's word's and how they apply to us today. Even though they are ficticious, I think they have the power to speak to us during this time of election. I hope they penetrate what ever barriers you may have put up to help you deal with the "other side".



Paul: On the day of my judgement, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That it was my job? My job?

John Coffey: You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

Paul: Yes, John. I think I can.



It's like "pieces of glass" to me too. How about you?

6 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I agree that the Green Mile scene is a powerful one. John Coffey's greatest miracle was the way he changed the people he interacted with. They were more than just healed. They were changed. Sound familiar?

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

fitflops clearance
phone cases
moncler outlet store
rolex watches outlet
fitflops uk
ugg outlet uk
cheap ugg boots
cheap ugg boots
coach handbags outlet
rolex watches
coach outlet store
adidas wings shoes
winter coats
louis vuitton handbags outlet
michael kors handbags sale
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
moncler outlet
michael kors uk outlet
soccer jerseys wholesale
canada goose jackets
mm1223

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg uk, hollister, vans, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, pandora uk, ray ban, louis vuitton, supra shoes, moncler, pandora charms, moncler, gucci, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, moncler, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, swarovski, canada goose uk, converse outlet, coach outlet, ugg, canada goose outlet, moncler, thomas sabo, moncler outlet, converse, barbour uk, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, marc jacobs, hollister, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, wedding dresses, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, nike air max, canada goose outlet, canada goose, pandora jewelry, lancel, moncler uk, juicy couture outlet, replica watches, canada goose jackets, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, links of london, ugg pas cher, barbour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home