Wednesday, October 20, 2004

49 and Holding

Well, I officially have my LAST Birthday today. No way am I EVER turning 50! I mentioned a few days ago about my youngest turning 20. What I didn't mention was that on that same day I also got bifocals. So within just a couple of weeks, I've had three reminders that I am not getting any younger.

I was about to have a "sho nough" pity party, and then it hit me that my dad was about to go to Africa for his third term on the mission field when he was my age.
I find that amazing, and you folks who know his health issues can appreciate why I say that. There is no way he could have done that with his own power, so it helps my faith to know how much the Father must have helped him. I also get to thinking about Henry Farrar, and the dozens and dozens of trips he has made to Nigeria when he was WAY beyond the age of 49. He is one of my heroes, for LOTS of reasons. If you look the word "servant" up in the dictionary, it will have a picture of Henry Farrar there. And then of course I think of Mother Teresa. Goodness. The very mention of her name brings silence and awe. I agree, her picture HAS to be there with Dr. Farrar.

So, my pity party is spoiled and I look forward to trying to emulate the lives of those heroes I mentioned........because they were emulating Christ. I realize that with HIM as my source of strength and energy I can do more than I ever dreamed I was capable of. How about you? Feeling young yet? :)

7 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Half a century!!!We only had 48 states when you were born I think. It seems like last week we were in the Old Rhodes fieldhouse playing pickup basketball. Back before the 3-point line you were always the self-appointed longball shooter. Hey, you're not going to let this b-day go by without getting hammered by me in some way. Happy b-day friend. Wouldn't be where I am today, spiritually, without you (I was not hammering you there by the way)Thanks for keeping me accountable. Love you and your family.
Go Hogs

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I am teaching a teenage girls class tonight and I was thinking how we tell them that this is the best years of their lives but most of us if given the choice would not go back. I think that is true for all periods of life, the reason being we want to be moving forward and not backward. The greatest joy of growing older is that we are moving forward to an eternity with our Heavenly Father. (yeah, that still want make that big 5-0 and easier to take next year!!)
Happy Birthday and many many more!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Clarissa said...

Take heart. I saw an article on MSN recently declaring that 50 is the new 30. So you're younger than you think!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger dutro said...

Happy B-day, brofro. I was speaking with Thednell Garner last night, and he mentioned his last trip to Nigeria, which was about 10 years ago. That means he went when he was about 80. You still got some rows to hoe, bro.

yo bro, dutro

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should never say "my last birthday" that is really morbid, instead, you should want birthdays to keep on coming for you know what the alternative is? of course you do. Always be thankful for each and every birthday and for the health God gave you. I'm 70 and told that I look much younger, partly because I'm very physically active and, guess God gave us good genes.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

true religion jeans
adidas outlet
giuseppe zanotti outlet
wedding dresses uk
beats by dre
oakley sunglasses
tory burch sale
fred perry polo shirts
ugg boots uk
michael kors canada
barbour jackets
true religion jeans
ugg boots outlet,ugg outlet
louis vuitton handbags outlet
nike trainers
nike free uk
ray-ban sunglasses
canada goose outlet
vans shoes
true religion outlet uk
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home